COMMUNICATIONS/PUBLIC RELATIONS/COMMUNITY RELATIONS/
Extensive experience in communications, public and community relations in both the non-profit and government sectors. Talented writer with strong experience in developing written communications and speeches to disseminate information on strategy, policy, marketing, development/fundraising, education and public information. Team player, creative, intuitive, dependable, and personable. Ability to work well with customers and the community. Strong research skills.
Core competencies include:
- Media, press relations
- Writing, editing, researching
- Special events planning
- Newsletter development
- Broadcast experience/public affairs programming
- Customer service/consumer complaints
- Public speaking
- Computer/Internet skills
- Budget preparation
- Speech preparation
URMC STROKE TREATMENT ALLIANCE OF ROCHESTER July 2013 – Present
(STAR), Rochester, NY
Senior Health Project Coordinator
Serve as administrative deputy at the senior professional level for the STAR program, a multi-institutional grant focused on improving and coordinating stroke care across four Rochester area hospitals.
- Provide professional direction for the project at all four sites by interacting closely with the Co-PIs, site directors, and data abstraction/entry personnel at each hospital.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the central staff and the various partner sites.
- Direct the planning, implementation, coordination, operation, and evaluation of project goals and objectives across all sites.
- Cultivate and maintain active relationships with all appropriate entities within the community (i.e. hospitals, community resources related to treatment, education, and support of stroke patients and their families, and people at risk for stroke).
- Provide required clinical and financial
- reports, manage the project budget, prepare analytical reports, materials for publication, and grant requests.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the area of expertise by reviewing literature and abstracts.
- Organize Continuing Medical Education (CME) events, public presentations, quarterly meetings, and marketing efforts related to stroke and cerebrovascular disease.
KUUMBA CONSULTANTS, Rochester, NY 2012 – 2013
Assistant to the Director, KAT Program (part-time)
Assist with the implementation and operation of the Kuumba Arts & Technology (KAT)
Program, which exposes at-risk teens between the ages of 14-18 who are currently on probation to both the creative arts and information technology.
- Serve as program leader in the absence of the Director.
- Assist with youth intake process.
- Monitor youth attendance.
- Collaborate with Program Director on special projects to engage youth, such as script development for short films produced by students, development of improvisational scenarios for youth to perform, and creation of unique and special activities for the youth to take part in, to encourage and promote team building and program participation.
- Teach creative skills, such as jewelry making, painting, poetry, etc. to expose youth to the positive impact of the creative arts.
- Provide transportation and supervision for off-site field trips.
ROCHESTER CITY COUNCIL OFFICE, Rochester, NY 2008 – 2011
Provided public relations and media support for the nine members of the Rochester City Council. Developed written and web-based materials to increase visibility and communicate various viewpoints to their constituents and the community as a whole.
- Wrote press releases and scheduled news conferences.
- Responded to daily media and constituent inquiries.
- Crafted proclamations for a wide variety of special events, individual milestones and accomplishments, and pressing social issues.
- Wrote articles and op-ed pieces for area newspapers including the Democrat & Chronicle and City Newspaper, appeared both in print and online.
- Developed articles and op-ed pieces for neighborhood newsletters including the Corn Hill Gazette, Maplewood Times, and Charlotte Community News.
- Drafted letters of support for pending legislation and specific social causes.
- Worked with WXXI to broadcast monthly Council and Committee meetings.
- Wrote and published an e-newsletter.
- Posted and updated information on City Council web pages.
- Wrote speeches and remarks for Council members.
ROCHESTER AREA COMMUNITY FOUNDATION, Rochester, NY 2006 - 2008
Director of Communications
Developed all communications materials for the Community Foundation. Also assisted with planning and execution of special events and donor cultivation.
- Produced a variety of written materials including bi-annual newsletter, vision brochure biennial report, and various brochures and letters.
- Wrote and disseminated news releases and planned news conferences/media events.
- Developed donor-related materials in conjunction with Jay Advertising and Cognitive Marketing, Inc.
- Produced articles and information for website.
- Assisted with planning of special events such as An Evening Out at Home, the Annual Meeting and Philanthropy Awards, and donor cultivation events.
- Served as a member of the Foundation’s management team.
- Represented the Foundation at various community events and functions.
CITY OF ROCHESTER, Rochester, NY 1994 – 2005
Press Secretary/Director of Communications
Handled the administration and daily operation of the City’s Communications Bureau, including graphic design, video services, photography lab, FOIL requests, budget issues and preparation, and personnel matters.
- Served as a member of the Mayor’s Cabinet and the Senior Management Team.
- Supervised 12-14 staff members within the bureau.
- Handled all media and public relations activities, interview requests, and news conferences involving the mayor as well as all other City departments.
- Produced all written and promotional materials for the City of Rochester, including brochures, advertisements, public service announcements, banners, and various other publications for dissemination throughout the city.
- Coordinated and implemented special event progams for the Mayor’s Office, such as the “Unsung Heroes”Awards Breakfast, the annual “State of the City” address, and the Renaissance Awards.
- Responsible for the programming and operation of City 12, the City’s government access channel.
- Functioned as moderator and host of “Citywise”, a public affairs program produced by the City and aired on City 12.
- Served as Cable Franchise Officer for the City; served on team for franchise agreement renewal.
- Assisted Mayor as a member of official delegations on international trips to various Sister Cities, including Rennes, France; Bamako, Mali; Hammamatsu, Japan; and Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
CITY OF ROCHESTER, Rochester, NY 2005
Assistant to the Mayor
Managed various projects and assignments as requested by the Mayor.
- Supervised clerical staff in the Office of the Mayor.
- Responded to correspondence and inquiries received by Mayor’s office from constituents, business leaders, and other government officials.
- Represented Mayor in official capacity at various events and functions throughout the community.
- Coordinated and implemented Mayor’s Renaissance awards, attended by more than 700 individuals.
Prior to 1994, held the following positions:
- Transition Staff Director - Mayoral Transition Office of Mayor-Elect Bill Johnson
- Public Relations Manager – Blue Cross Blue Shield of the Rochester Area
- Director of Development and Public Affairs – Urban League of Rochester
- Sales Service Representative – Case-Hoyt Corporation
Recipient of African-American Fellowship
Newhouse School of Public Communications
Syracuse New York
B.A./English and Dramatics & Speech
Summa cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Nazareth Elementary School-School Advisory Committee
2010 – 2012; Social Events Chairperson
Nazareth Hall Elementary School PTO, 2006 – 2009
Co-Chair 2006-2007; PTO President, 2007-2009
Pop Warner Southside Cyclones, 2007-2011
Assistant Pee Wee Cheer Coach, 2009
Team Mom – 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
Women Build Steering Committee of Habitat for Humanity 2006
Meals on Wheels Volunteer, 1997-2004
Geva Theatre Center Board of Trustees, 1998-2010
Education Committee Chairperson, 2004-2010
Seneca Park Zoo Society Board of Trustees, 1998-2006
Marketing/Public Relations Committee, 1995 – 2006;
Mktg./PR Committee Chairperson,2004 -2005
YWCA Board of Directors, 1995-2001
Board President, 1999 – 2001
Urban League of Rochester BLACK SCHOLARS
Endowment Fund Committee, 1993 – Present
Arts and Cultural Council Board of Directors, 1997-2000
Rochester Chapter, The Links, Incorporated, 1999-2012
Chairperson Public Relations Committee, 2007 -2012
Arts Facet Chairperson, 2011-12; 1st Vice President, 2005-2007
Corresponding Secretary, 2003 – 2005;
Co-Chair 2003 & 2005
White Rose Friendship Awards Luncheons
● 2005 Mayor’s Renaissance AwardChairperson, Public Relations Committee, 2007 – 2012;
● The YWCA’s Esther Hale Gosnell Saunders Award for Volunteer Leadership
● Rochester Business Journal’s “40 Under 40″ Award
● Urban League Employee of the Year