BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
Research Results, LLC
http://daveoverfelt.com Founded May 2013
Expert research, analysis, and related writing and consulting services for communities and organizations.
The Communications Center, Inc., Columbia, Missouri 2008-Present
Coordinated people, tasks, schedules, and resources in managing strategic planning processes for
communities, non-profits, and businesses; worked with city staff and elected officials to create systems to monitor and
evaluate project implementation results for visioning process in Columbia, MO; provided dialogue, facilitation, and
communication training; maintained knowledge base on cutting edge dialogue practices; drafted grant proposals and
responses to government bid requests.
Rochester Institute of Technology, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Rochester, New York 2011-2013
Visiting Assistant Professor
Independently develop and deliver courses on urban social problems and public policy issues; research/publish articles in
urban democracy, community engagement, research methods, and public policy; managed development of a special
journal issue on interdisciplinary community-based research to be published by SAGE in 2013.
RESEARCH, VOLUNTEERISM AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- 2010-2012: Served as volunteer neighborhood organizer in Columbia, MO and Rochester, NY.
- 2008-2010: Research and design issue focused discussion guides (published in print and online formats) for nonpartisan American Values Are, LLC.
- 2006-2008: Facilitated complex dialogues on the future of development in the City of Columbia, Missouri.
- 2006-2009: Chaired Student Executive Committee for Sociologists without Borders.
- 2005-2006: Created and managed the Missouri chapter of Students for a Democratic Society.
- 2006-2012: Coordinated 900 article submissions to create a coherent program emphasizing disaster research for the Southern Sociological Society’s 2006 Annual Conference then turned that program into an edited volume now in its second edition. Published a variety of single and multiple author articles. For a complete list see: daveoverfelt.wordpress.com/publications.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
PhD in Sociology – University of Missouri-Columbia 2010
Dissertation Title: “Understanding Space in an Ordinary City.”
M.A. Sociology-University of Missouri-Columbia 2006
Thesis Title: “Building Wal-Mart with Resistance: Community Political Action Against a New Wal-Mart Supercenter.”
B.S. Sociology- University of Missouri-Columbia, Magna Cum Laude, with Honors 2003
Mediator certified by The Missouri State University for Dispute Resolution 2010