GOVERNMENT REFORM AND MODERNIZATION
SCI Government Reform Associates
Strategic Community Intervention LLC (SCI) provides the tools and processes to “build stronger communities”, by working to modernize inefficient and outmoded government structures and programs. Government entities at all levels are besieged with increasing demands for services and the need to adapt to new methodologies, in an environment of declining financial resources and escalating pessimism spawned by institutional inertia and partisan paralysis.
Each of the 10 SCI Associates have extensive operational experience in local government, and have successfully advocated, or designed and implemented innovative and sustainable reforms. In addition to Mayor, our Associates have held the position of Deputy County Executive; Chief Financial Officer; Chief of Police; Assistant City Manager; Deputy City Comptroller; Administrator of County Housing and Community Development; Director of Planning and Zoning; Assistant Bureau Director for Neighborhood Development; and Director of Programs, Budget, Research and Evaluation. Many have consulted around structural reform and programmatic redesign issues, as well as implementing cost-saving strategies without sacrificing program quality.
SCI strategic approach to reforming and repositioning local governments is threefold:
- To identify, with key local officials, opportunities for higher levels of effectiveness and efficiency through consolidation, shared services or inter-municipal agreements.
- To enlist citizen support for reform initiatives through active engagement in the analysis and redesign phases, and in expanding public support for reform.
- To identify federal and state incentives that encourage and facilitate various levels of restructuring and reform.
Our backgrounds and experience make us ideally suited to work with local governments of medium and small sizes, to address the challenges of redesigning systems that will make these cities highly competitive and efficient in the contemporary marketplace.
SCI approach is designed to achieve the following commitments:
- Is sensitive to local and political issues and traditions
- Encourages the participation of neighboring government entities throughout the region
- Gains a clear understanding of previous reform initiatives to identify factors of success or failure through the analysis of relevant data sources
- Identifies “champions” inside and outside of government who can sell the need for reform
- Engages citizens in all phases of the discussions and decisions, to insure their values, perspective and preferences are respected and incorporated in the final design
- Develops a community team that is empowered to carry the initiative from design to sustainable implemented.